History of Neuhaus
The story begins...
Jean Neuhaus settles in Brussels and opens a pharmacy in the prestigious Galerie de la Reine. He covers his medicines in a layer of chocolate to make them more palatable.
Invention of the 'praline'
Jean Neuhaus Jr. expands his grandfather’s idea replacing the medicines with fresh cream, thus creating the first filled chocolate. He calls it ‘praline’, which becomes an immediate success!
Louise Agostini, wife of Jean Neuhaus, designs an elegant gift box in which the chocolates are attractively presented. This box, called the ‘ballotin’, becomes the ‘must-have’ gift.
Stars of the World Expo
Neuhaus introduces the 'Caprice' and 'Tentation' during the World Exhibition in Brussels. These refined filled chocolates reveal on the inside a nougatine biscuit, made according to a special Neuhaus recipe, and are filled by hand with fresh cream or ganache. These chocolates remain the Neuhaus icons today.
Neuhaus undergoes a transformation. Its boutiques are given a splendid new look, with a distinctive colour palette that includes warm coral red and elegant chestnut brown.
The luxury Belgian chocolatier
Neuhaus is the market leader in the luxury chocolate sector in Belgium. The company’s strategy is focused on international growth, and the chocolatier currently has over 1000 sales outlets in 50 countries. It is one of the few chocolate companies still manufacturing in Belgium. As supplier to the Belgian Royal Court, this year Neuhaus celebrates the 100th anniversary of the ‘praline’.